What is a scientific poster if not a graphic representation capable of explaining briefly and in a light and pleasant way, a project, an investigation or a scientific experience?
This is easier than it looks. All you need is a good theme, common sense, and a tool that solves your design problem.
What is a scientific poster
The content is essential, but not the only important thing about the scientific poster.
If you’re wondering what a scientific poster is, we have to keep in mind that we are not talking about an essay or a paper, so we have to avoid details and keep only the essential, with what will arouse the interest of the reader and try to leave him/her wanting to know more about you and your research.
Take into account the time the reader has to draw general conclusions from the contents of the poster and remember that it is more important to generate a powerful memory than to try to tell everything.
The poster should start with a title that draws attention and a subtitle that completes the title and summarizes the theme of the whole piece. You should also write an introduction, define some objectives, detail the method used, draw some conclusions… all this, always supported graphically.
To avoid excessively long texts, it is not a bad idea to start with a summary, as brief as possible, that brings together the most essential ideas of the research.
The presentation: beauty is not only inside
Keep in mind that at least 50% of the poster should be purely visual content: icons, graphics, highlights…
We are aware that you are not designers, nor do we pretend to be, but the poster has to have an aesthetics pleasing to the eye, without stridencies and following an organized pattern of resources and elements. As for the colors, try to play with the tones of a couple of colors to avoid falling into an excessively colorful composition.
Some useful keys: Let’s get to work!
You have 3 seconds to capture the reader’s attention, 30 seconds to generate interest and 3 minutes to encourage action. It is not much time, so here are some keys that you should not skip if you want to succeed with your scientific poster:
- The title has to be descriptive, but at the same time be able to capture the reader’s interest.
- The total text used in the poster should not exceed 300 words.
- It has to be graphically attractive.
- The organization of the contents is fundamental, so that the general content of the poster is understood from the first glance.
- It clearly differentiates the different sections and orders the ideas.
- All the information that can be replaced with a better graphic resource, capture it with an image than with a text.
- All data and information included in the poster must be relevant. If it is not relevant, do not include it.
- Very attentive to spelling mistakes, their presence can detract from the credibility of your research.
- Make sure that all the data you offer on the poster is consistent.
- Give it your own style and make it original and unique.
In 3DforScience we are specialists in creating visual content like scientific posters, with the best tools and with a wide experience in scientific design, we create from scratch the design you need to convey the necessary points to your audience and achieve the desired goal.
3DforScience is a scientific communication company specialized in digital content for the pharma and biotech industries. Our passionate creative team works alongside an in-house scientific team to provide cutting-edge medical animations, scientific illustrations, virtual reality, etc.
Our extensive experience within the field ensures all the content we produce is scientifically accurate, innovative, engaging, and pitched at the right level for the target audience.